Tuesday, February 5, 2013

...of the UNI Greenhouse!


Hey Guys!

I’m not sure if you've heard or not, but Groundhog Phil did NOT see his shadow this year! If you believe in Phil’s weather forecast, that means that spring will arrive early, and we will finally have an end to this crazy weather. I've decided I’m going to put a lot of faith in our good friend Phil this year in hopes that we will no longer have snow, ice, and cold temperatures. Don’t get me wrong, I would LOVE a few more of those rare college snow days, but I think it’s about time spring showed its warm, sunny face.

Unfortunately, I know we’re in for at least a few more weeks of this winter weather, so I’m just going to have to wrap up in a blanket and enjoy a few more cups of hot chocolate. I also fully intend on visiting my favorite building on campus a few more times this semester. UNI’s Greenhouse is by far the best “hidden treasure” on UNI’s campus. Students pass by the Greenhouse every day on their way to Maucker Union or Rod Library, but very few people take the time to stop inside.


On a cold winter day, it is the perfect solution! Visitors can escape to the rainforest, desert, or any other one of the rooms to enjoy warm temperatures and a break from the reality of tests, papers, and presentations. I especially love to visit after a hard test and just relax for a bit. You can also visit Ernie the iguana, the numerous goldfish in the pond, and the two resident birds, who can be quite the Chatty Cathy’s when they are awake.


Needless to say, if you haven’t already been to the Greenhouse, you definitely should stop in during your time at UNI! 

Try to stay warm out there, and keep your fingers crossed that Groundhog Phil is right this year!

- Ashley, STAR

FYI: The Greenhouse is open to visitors every Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment