Thursday, December 6, 2012

....Of "My American Dream"

As an Elementary Education major, you are going to be required to attend events on campus that can help to develop you further as a professional.  One of the events that I most recently attended was last night and it was called, "Critical Conversations: Voices of the Cedar Valley."  At this event, I was able to view what the American Dream looked like to a group of sixth grade students from Carver Academy Middle School in Waterloo, Iowa and also what the American Dream looked like to a class of students from Wartburg College.  One of my favorites was of a boy that dreamed to invent a flying car or learn how to build robots so he could work for NASA!  After about twenty minutes of reading the students' work that was on display, everyone gathered together to have a panel discussion about ways to improve our teaching to students learning English as a second language.

The one on the right was my favorite about the boy that wanted to work for NASA one day!
There was such a great turn out at the event!  Pictured is my co-worker, Kari!
The panel had the president of the Hispanic Latino Student Union (HLSU) at UNI, the sixth grade teacher of the class from Carver Academy Middle School, and the Assistant Principal from Carver Academy Middle School.  The panel members all shared such inspiring stories and information that was very helpful!  The panel members told us all to encourage ESL students to achieve their dreams and to let the student speak in their native language.  I was assigned to attend this event, but I am sure glad that I was!  I always love reading students' work and the panel discussion that was held helped me to gain insight on teaching diversity and the importance of it!  What a great event and it is no surprise that this event was apart of UNI's Reaching for Higher Ground events.
I am currently working on my American Dream by going to UNI and graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education with a minor in Literacy Education.  My question to you is: what is your American Dream?

~Vanessa, STAR  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment