Friday, December 7, 2012

...Of a Literacy Education Minor!

As some of you may know from my previous posts, I am an elementary education major with a literacy education minor.  One of the classes that you have to take to complete the literacy minor is a course called "Advanced Children's Literature."  I am currently taking the course, and I just completed my last class of the semester before our final next week.  My professor, Mingshui Cai, decided that today's class should be a "fun day."  Mingshui Cai is from China, and the entire focus this semester in the course has been on Multicultural literature.  Professor Cai decided that he was going to teach us to say "hello," "good-bye (or see you later)," and "thank-you" in Chinese.  He also taught us to write "hello" and the numbers one through eight in Chinese!

This is my written work from when I was learning Chinese!
After we learned a little Chinese, we did a chopstick competition!  Here is what it looked like:

Two of my table members practicing using the chopsticks before the competition started!
Each table was given a plate with beans on it, a cup, and a pair of chopsticks.  We each had a few minutes to practice holding the chopsticks and putting the beans into the cup.  After a few minutes of practicing, every student had one minute to put as many beans as they could into the cup.  The person that did the most at each table won a prize.  I was HORRIBLE at this task!  One of my table members put 28 beans into the cup and the other table member put 22 beans into the cup.  Guess how many I was able to put into the cup?!  FIVE!  See, I told you I didn't do very well!  The final activity was learning Tai Chi.  Yes, I am not lying.  I learned Tai Chi in class.  First, my professor showed the class a shortened version of a Tai Chi routine.

Mingshui Cai, my professor, performing a Tai Chi routine.  He was good!
After my professor performed a Tai Chi routine, he asked for a volunteer to come forth.  Guess who volunteered as "tribute" for this event?!  ME!  My professor taught me a few Tai Chi moves, which I'm sure was rather entertaining to watch, and then I had to teach the moves I learned to another student volunteer in the class.  I made a few mistakes but I was told by the person that I taught that I was the best Tai Chi instructor she has ever had.  I'd like to mention that I am the only Tai Chi instructor that she has ever had! ;)  After all of my hard work at learning and teaching Tai Chi, I received this from my professor:

A very intricate paper cut-out!
This is a very intricate paper cut-out of two pandas that I received for my participation in class!  I have had quite a few classes that were as entertaining as this class was today, and that is why I love my classes at UNI!  I cannot possibly say that ALL classes at UNI are like this, but I promise you that you won't be disappointed!  The professors are so passionate about teaching and it shows!  Hopefully this helps all of you future Panthers to see that college classes aren't as intimidating as you may think!  Happy College "Hunting!"

~Vanessa, STAR



No comments:

Post a Comment