Wednesday, November 28, 2012

...of a CAT!

Hello again!

-FYI I am sniffle free!-

A lot of you guys are leaving clubs and organizations that you have been a part of all of high school and maybe even middle school - that's scary! If you are anything like me, I lived and breathed for my high school's speech team! I loved everything about (what I considered to be) that sport!  So, going into college and wanting to be dedicated so strongly to something similar to that was very important to me....so important that I got kind of crazy ;)

As all of the organization fairs came about, I think I collected so many business cards and brochures to keep me warm through the Zombie Apocolypse! In all seriousness, out of all the organizations I became a part of, two have exceeded the level of HHS Speech: HLSU and CATS! HLSU stands for the Hispanic Latino Student Union and it shaped me into the leader I am today and I met a lot of my close friends from there.  CATS stands for Connecting Alumni to Students and this organization is a little more relevant to all of you reading this (not that HLSU isn't, but I am going to save that for later).  The reason why I have CATS on the brain is because we just received our new "kittens" and they remind me of you guys! They are like the freshmen of CATS :)

CATS serves as a medium between current students and faculty to alumni here at UNI.  We volunteer at a lot of the Alumni Associations events, various organizations in the Cedar Valley, and we help promote Panther spirit within the community and on campus itself.  If you would like to learn more of the logistics, I am sure you can find a CAT or two on the Facebook app or just walk around campus and ask anyone wearing our gear.

I love being a CAT because of the family that I am in - it is like a fraternity/sorority without the Greek aspect.  I was welcomed into the organization as a kitten and at my first CATS event I received a Cat (similar to the Bigs and Littles in Greek).  Morgan showed me the ropes of CATS and we did a lot of fun things together my first semester - she is definitely a person I know I can go to if I ever need anything.
My Cat and I at Pride Cry
CATS is always doing fun things together, even if we are at a professional event.  I encourage all of you to check it out next fall if you want to be a member of a family that will not only help you professionally, but socially as well!
This is us being AWESOME at Pride Cry :)
~STAR Joslyn

No comments:

Post a Comment