Monday, February 2, 2015

... of UNI Choirs


I was always involved in music in high school, and I thought that after graduation my musical career had ended since I was not a music major.  However, at the University of Northern Iowa, I was able to keep singing in one of many choral ensembles.    

There are five choral ensembles at UNI- Concert Chorale, UNI Singers, Cantorei, Women’s Chorus, and Varsity Men’s Glee Club.  These ensembles perform for various campus events and regional and international communities.  Recently, the Concert Choral returned from an international tour in Estonia and other groups are planning their own tours for the upcoming years.      

The choirs at UNI School of Music are amazing ways to get involved, even if you are not a music major!  Several music majors are involved, but many non-music majors, like myself, also take part in making music.  I encourage you to audition for one of the choirs because there are wonderful performance opportunities, and you make life-long friendships.  Otherwise, I encourage you to come watch the performances.  The performances on campus are free to all current UNI students.  UNI choirs display high levels of artistic abilities and you will not regret taking the time to appreciate the music.

I love choir, and I am so glad I was able to continue singing after high school.  Each of the organizations are unique and led by wonderful conductors- Dr. Wiles and Dr. Kotsonis.  I am part of the Women’s Chorus led by Dr. Kotsonis, and each of the girls in the choir are amazing.  By joining Women’s Chorus, I have made so many new friends.  Choir was a great way to help me transition to college and become involved in a fun organization.  In this past semester, I have learned that UNI Choirs is more than just an organization on campus- it is a family.  

For information about UNI School of Music http://www.uni.edu/music/homepage

For information about UNI Choirs http://www.unichoirs.com/
Follow UNI Choirs on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/UNIChoirs
Follow UNI Choirs on Twitter @UNI_SOM

~STAR Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment