Wednesday, October 30, 2013

...of a Volunteer STAR!


Hello there, friends!

Have any of you ever thought about volunteering just because? No? Well, I have a great opportunity in mind for those of you who might like to try their hand.


This weekend, I got the opportunity to volunteer at the Ronald McDonald house in Iowa City with some of my friends. The Ronald McDonald house provides housing and food for families with children dealing with illnesses that require them to be at the hospital for a long stay, or there for frequent appointments. The Ronald McDonald house has no time limit for those in need of staying there. If a family is in need and they have the space, they will take people!

  
 


The thing that I find to be really cool about the RMH is that they are willing and able to take volunteers anytime and have lots to keep us busy! For example, when I was there this weekend, I got to cut out Christmas ornaments that will be sold at local Hyvee grocery stores,  and the proceeds will go right back to the RMH. Some of my other friends who were with me were given a small cleaning list to finish, and they were done within the hour! This is because the RMH is lucky enough to receive lots of willing and able volunteers who want to make the stay for those there as comfortable as possible.

When talking to a woman named Natalie who works at the front desk there, I asked her what her favorite part about having people come volunteer at the RMH was. She explained to me that she thinks it is so cool how willing people are to come in at any time to help. She said that the smiling faces and great energy brought by those who come to volunteer is something you just can’t explain.


That’s what I love about the Ronald McDonald house. Although it might seem to us that we are doing a very small part in helping out, it makes such a big difference in the lives of those living there. It’s amazing to help out when you are healthy and able bodied, and giving back at the Ronald McDonald house gives me great pride and joy. I like to think they give me back a whole lot more than I give them.



Have a great week, guys!!!

STAR Molly







No comments:

Post a Comment