Monday, October 28, 2013

...of an English Major

Salutations, Future Panthers!

I've always been a pretty creative person. I am the definition of right-brained. Anything involving math or science terrifies me. But ask me to write a poem or proofread a paper and I'm totally in my element. As a result of this, I found myself enrolled at college as an English major.

(This is a visual representation of me in the ROD Library)

So, whenever I tell people I'm an English major, the first question they ask is, "So you wanna be a teacher?" No, I do not want to be a teacher. While UNI has a fantastic education program and I totally respect people who want to go into teaching, it's just not my thing. 

Alright then, what does an English major who doesn't want to teach become when they grow up? The possibilities are endless! A few options: Advertisement, Broadcasting, Business, Buyer, Columnist, Communications Assistant, Creative Writing, Critic, Journalist, Librarian, Marketing, Publishing, the list goes on and on! 

Some famous English majors:

Broadcaster/News Anchor Diane Sawyer

 Novelist Stephen King

Comedian Joan Rivers

I personally aim to be an editor someday. It involves creative writing and editing, two of my favorite things. Along with the English minors UNI has to offer (Creative Writing, Professional Writing, Literary Studies, etc.) the university can easily prepare students for a number of careers with an English degree. 

Now, let's take a look at a typical day as an English major. It looks a lot like this:

(#LivingInLang)

Lang Hall! The main building for Communications and English courses, Lang Hall is home to me and many other students here at UNI. 

People may think that English classes are strictly reading old books, but that is simply not the case. In addition to reading a wide variety of literature, students also study Linguistics, how to write and compose different types of essays, and take some really fun classes like Film History and Blues and Jazz In African American Literature!

If you think an English major sounds like something you'd be interested in, you can learn more about it at: http://www.uni.edu/langlit/content/english

That's all for now, Future Panthers!
-Emily
(STAR)

1 comment: