Wednesday, January 30, 2013

...Of a College Snow Day

Who doesn't love a good snow day? In high school, snow days were my favorite. They were unexpected breaks from the normal routine to relax, watch movies, and avoid homework. Imagine my disappointment when I arrived to UNI and found out that universities rarely cancel school due to weather. When you think about it, it does make sense. Since the large majority of students live within ten minutes of their classrooms, the university shouldn't cancel school everytime we receive a few inches of snow. But every now and then, there is a storm that is bad enough that the university decides to cancel classes.

This morning I woke up to a blanket of snow that wasn't in my yard yesterday (Iowa weather always wants to keep us guessing, doesn't it?) as well as numerous e-mails from professors who chose to cancel their classes today because of the snowstorm. I only had one professor who chose to have class today, and in the middle of that class, every student received a message that the university would be closing at 4:00 today. That message meant that all night classes and activities were cancelled for tonight, which gave me the happy surprise of a free schedule.

So how do you spend your time during a college snow day? I can promise you that college snow days, while they might be hard to come by, are so much better than high school snow days because you get snowed in with all of your best friends! There's nothing better than having a night off to spend relaxing with your friends in your residence hall! My plans for the night include a coffee date with my roomie and watching romantic comedies with my friends! (Valentine's Day is just around the corner, you know!) So until tomorrow, the homework can wait while I enjoy a night of relaxing with some wonderful friends!





                                                                                                  Stay warm!
                                                                                                 -Kari, STAR

No comments:

Post a Comment