Wednesday, March 25, 2015

...of an Elementary Education major!

Hey future Panthers! STAR Hannah here!

As some of you may know, I am an elementary education major! The returning students are starting to register for classes, so I thought I would give you guys some insight on what typical classes are in the schedule of an elementary education major!

I started out the fall semester of my freshman year taking mostly Liberal Arts Core classes. The good thing about being an elementary education major is that a lot of the LAC courses are also major courses, like Math Reasoning for Teachers I and any of the Inquiry into Life, Physical, or Earth Science classes!

I registered to take my Level 1's during this Spring semester. If you are not familiar with this terminology, it is short for saying "field experience." There are 3 levels of field experience, and then the fourth "level" is student teaching! Level 1's is usually two classes. One of them is called Dynamics of Human Development. I am currently in this course, and it is very interesting! It goes through the development of humans, beginning with the fetus--a course perfect for elementary education or early childhood majors! The second course is Level 1 Field Experience: Exploring Teaching. This is the class where you talk about what goes on while you're in the classroom in a surrounding school district. My field experience placement is in a first grade classroom at Orange Elementary in Waterloo! I am loving it so far! I have to be in the classroom for a minimum of 30 hours. At the end of the semester, I will have gone for at least 3 hours per week for 10 weeks. On Monday, I had the pleasure of teaching a short math lesson, and I had a lot of fun interacting with the students! It was like being the teacher for five minutes! I am currently working on a lesson plan to teach a mini-lesson about the story Chrysanthemum!

 Some of you may remember this from your childhood!

The best part about our College of Education here at UNI is that they make sure you get out into the classrooms before Spring semester of your second year! This creates a very hands-on experience since the classroom is where we are able to learn best from other experienced teachers. The video on the College of Education homepage (uni.edu/coe) is a great summary of just how awesome our program is! You can also find many helpful tips and resources on that website as well. Feel free to explore it a little bit!

Have a great week, future Panthers! :)

~STAR Hannah


No comments:

Post a Comment