Tuesday, January 28, 2014

...Of figuring out my future!

Hey guys!

So before college I was always told to expect to change my major at least once. Well, once I made it to my junior year here at UNI, I thought I was the exception...

Not so much.

Over the course of my last two and a half years as a panther, I was a declared Studio Art major with a Graphic Design emphasis. With that major I've had some amazing professors and produced some of my very best work... but this fall, coming into my junior year, I knew that the Graphic Design field just wasn't where I wanted to be after graduation.

I like to call it my 20-year old life crisis.

Upon this realization, I made another one. That instead of pursuing art, I wanted to go into the medical field. Crazy jump, huh? My parents and friends definitely thought so, but were supportive none the less. At that point I knew what I wanted to do but had no clue how to get there... Until I found Joan.

Joan is an academic advisor from the biology department and I credit her completely with turning my lofty dreams of medical school into a concrete plan. A plan that would, with the addition of a few summer classes, have me graduating on time with the completion of my studio art degree, as well as all the courses necessary to be prepared for the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT).

I went from being so sure of my major, to changing it completely, to having no idea what to do, to having a plan.. all in the span of a single semester. It's really all thanks to the incredible faculty and staff here at UNI that got me headed back in the right direction and more confident than ever that I can achieve all that I want to do.

So if you have your intended major set in stone, great. And if you change your mind like I did, rest assured that UNI has just the people that can help! :)


Stay awesome baby panthers!
-STAR,
(And future doctor!)
Melanie

No comments:

Post a Comment