Wednesday, October 1, 2014

...of a DM Foam 5K Runner!

Last Thursday, Dance Marathon held a Foam 5K that I ran with my roommate.
A brief summary of Dance Marathon:
Dance Marathon is a movement involving some high schools,
but mostly colleges all across the country that fundraise money year-round
for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals all around the country.
The year concludes with "The Big Event"
which consists of essentially a 12-40 hour dance party.
This is also where the total amount of money raised for the kids is revealed!
So with that being said, the people that want to run the 5K register and pay to run, which most of the money goes into that grand total amount raised for the kids. Dance Marathon (DM for short) decided to put a twist on the average 5K - a foam 5K. While running the 3.1 miles, there were many different "stations" around the route on campus. After running through the tunnel, we got pelted with water balloons. I did not get very wet at this station because I dodged the balloon thrown at me, but my roommate got more wet than I did. After running for a bit longer, we came across a tent-like structure that had a foam machine inside. The volunteers inserted soap into the machine and it spit out bubbles that built up from the ground! This was my least favorite part because it got my shoes dirty but it paid off. Why? The next station was the best: a tarp laid out on the Campanile lawn and was wet and soapy! My roommate and I dove head first onto the tarp and got soaked! We were able to dry off a bit as we ran to the next station; there were volunteers that had hoses and sprinklers on the route! We ran some more and found another foam machine, so we ran through that tent and then we were done with the foam part but still had a little bit more running to do! We sprinted to the finish line-- a tunnel of other runners' arms--which was pretty exciting! I felt a huge sense of accomplishment after running the 5K. I had never ran one before so I was a little scared when it first started! The most rewarding part of the night was actually seeing the kids that we are raising money for. They were so excited to be running/walking with us!
This was a great experience and I cannot wait to raise more money for the kids!

-STAR Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment